
-
PSG eye becoming France's first 'Invincibles'
-
Late birdie burst lifts Ryder to Texas Open lead
-
Five potential Grand National fairytale endings
-
Trump purges national security team after meeting conspiracist
-
More work for McIlroy even with two wins before Masters
-
Trump hopeful of 'great' PGA-LIV golf merger
-
No.1 Scheffler goes for third Masters crown in four years
-
Where Trump's tariffs could hurt Americans' wallets
-
Trump says 'very close to a deal' on TikTok
-
Trump tariffs on Mexico: the good, the bad, the unknown
-
Postecoglou denies taunting Spurs fans in Chelsea defeat
-
Oscar-winning Palestinian director speaks at UN on Israeli settlements
-
With tariff war, Trump also reshapes how US treats allies
-
Fernandez fires Chelsea into fourth as pressure mounts on Postecoglou
-
South Korea court to decide impeached president's fate
-
Penguin memes take flight after Trump tariffs remote island
-
E.T., no home: Original model of movie alien doesn't sell at auction
-
Italy's Brignone has surgery on broken leg with Winter Olympics looming
-
Trump defiant as tariffs send world markets into panic
-
City officials vote to repair roof on home of MLB Rays
-
Rockets forward Brooks gets one-game NBA ban for technicals
-
Pentagon watchdog to probe defense chief over Signal chat row
-
US tariffs could push up inflation, slow growth: Fed official
-
New Bruce Springsteen music set for June 27 release
-
Tom Cruise pays tribute to Val Kilmer
-
Mexico president welcomes being left off Trump's tariffs list
-
Zuckerberg repeats Trump visits in bid to settle antitrust case
-
US fencer disqualified for not facing transgender rival
-
'Everyone worried' by Trump tariffs in France's champagne region
-
Italy's Brignone suffers broken leg with Winter Olympics looming
-
Iyer blitz powers Kolkata to big IPL win over Hyderabad
-
Russian soprano Netrebko to return to London's Royal Opera House
-
French creche worker gets 25 years for killing baby with drain cleaner
-
UK avoids worst US tariffs post-Brexit, but no celebrations
-
Canada imposing 25% tariff on some US auto imports
-
Ruud wants 'fair share' of Grand Slam revenue for players
-
Lesotho, Africa's 'kingdom in the sky' jolted by Trump
-
Trump's trade math baffles economists
-
Gaza heritage and destruction on display in Paris
-
'Unprecedented crisis' in Africa healthcare: report
-
Pogacar gunning for blood and thunder in Tour of Flanders
-
Macron calls for suspension of investment in US until tariffs clarified
-
Wall St leads rout as world reels from Trump tariffs
-
Mullins gets perfect National boost with remarkable four-timer
-
Trump tariffs hammer global stocks, dollar and oil
-
Authors hold London protest against Meta for 'stealing' work to train AI
-
Tate Modern gifted 'extraordinary' work by US artist Joan Mitchell
-
Mexico president welcomes being left off Trump's new tariffs list
-
Tonali eager to lead Newcastle back into Champions League
-
Lesotho hardest hit as new US tariffs rattle Africa

Gabon's ousted leader Bongo says renouncing politics for good
Gabon's ex-president Ali Bongo Ondimba, who was overthrown in a coup last year, has said he is withdrawing from political life and asked for clemency for his imprisoned wife and son who he said face "violence" and "torture".
Bongo ruled the oil-rich West African nation for 14 years until he was overthrown by military leaders in August last year moments after being proclaimed the winner in a presidential election.
The deposed leader, whose family dynasty held power in Gabon for 55 years, has been living in his private estate in the capital Libreville since. According to the government, the 65-year-old is free to leave the country.
"I would like to reaffirm my withdrawal from political life and the definitive renunciation of any national ambition," Bongo said in a message sent to the media overnight Wednesday to Thursday.
"I would never wish to constitute a risk of threat, unrest and destabilisation for Gabon," he added in the message sent by his Gabonese lawyer Gisele Eyue Bekale to media outlets, including AFP.
He also said he called for "appeasement, the end of violence and torture against my family" especially his wife Sylvia, 61, and their eldest son Noureddin, 32.
Both are being held at Libreville's central prison over embezzlement allegations, in conditions denounced by their lawyers.
- 'Unable to move freely' -
Bongo called for their release, saying they had been imprisoned for too long over acts for which they had not been found guilty.
But he also admitted "failings" in the way he ran the country.
He said he "accepts sole responsibility, both on a social level and with regard to the functioning of our institutions."
He also urged the country "to renounce vengeance".
Noureddin Bongo is accused of corruption and embezzling public funds, while his mother is accused of money laundering, concealment and forgery.
The new government under General Brice Oligui Nguema accuses them of "manipulating" the weakened head of state after Ali Bongo suffered a stroke in 2018.
Lawyers for the Bongo family in May said they had lodged a complaint in France over the torture and detention of the ex-president, his wife and three sons.
Gabon's military-led government denies the claims which it has called "slanderous".
"I myself remain unable to move freely and am subject to daily surveillance," Bongo said in his message written in French.
"My visits depend on authorisation from the military," adding that he was "isolated from the outside world without communications, without news of my family."
A.Gasser--BTB