
-
Trump tariffs hammer global stocks, dollar and oil
-
Authors hold London protest against Meta for 'stealing' work to train AI
-
Tate Modern gifted 'extraordinary' work by US artist Joan Mitchell
-
Mexico president welcomes being left off Trump's new tariffs list
-
Tonali eager to lead Newcastle back into Champions League
-
Lesotho hardest hit as new US tariffs rattle Africa
-
Stellantis pausing some Canada, Mexico production over Trump auto tariffs
-
Rising odds asteroid that briefly threatened Earth will hit Moon
-
Italy reels from Brignone broken leg with Winter Olympics looming
-
Is the Switch 2 worth the price? Reviews are mixed
-
Ancelotti’s tax trial wraps up in Spain with prosecutors seeking jail
-
Civilians act to bring aid to Myanmar earthquake victims
-
US trade gap narrows in February ahead of bulk of Trump tariffs
-
Stocks, dollar and oil sink as gold hits high on Trump tariffs
-
Countries eye trade talks as Trump tariff blitz roils markets
-
Arsenal defender Gabriel out for rest of the season
-
Trump says US to emerge 'stronger' as markets tumble over tariffs
-
Wiegman says Belgium games can aid England's women's Euros title defence
-
Prosecutors demand jail term for Ancelotti for tax fraud
-
Syria accuses Israel of deadly destabilisation campaign
-
Skiing World Cup champion Brignone suffers broken leg
-
Iconic Paris hotel Lutetia taken over by Mandarin Oriental
-
Nepal capital chokes as wildfires rage
-
AI could impact 40 percent of jobs worldwide: UN
-
'Shocking': US tariffs worse than feared for Vietnamese exporters
-
Liverpool's Slot happy to let Premier League title bid take its course
-
USA sole bidder for 2031 Women's World Cup, UK set to host in 2035
-
Tesla sales fall again in Germany amid Musk backlash
-
Italy's skiing champion Brignone air-lifted to hospital after crash
-
US trade partners eye talks after Trump tariff blitz
-
Evenepoel adds Tour de Romandie to comeback programme
-
Defending champion I Am Maximus heads final field for Grand National
-
Rubio says US committed to NATO - but tells allies to spend more
-
Dollar, stocks sink as gold hits high on Trump tariffs
-
India eyes opportunity despite Trump tariffs hit
-
UK show reveals tawdry tale of Shakespeare folio theft
-
Top Russian official in Washington for talks on improving ties
-
Sinner's former physio to blame for failed dope tests, says ex-physical trainer
-
Germany slams Trump tariffs, US tech titans in crosshairs
-
Trump tariff blitz sparks retaliation threats, economic fears
-
Search for Malaysia's long missing MH370 suspended
-
Hungary announces ICC withdrawal as Israel's Netanyahu visits
-
Trump's tariffs sting Asian giants, including US allies
-
India says 'examining the implications' of US tariffs
-
Evenepoel set to make injury return at Tour de Romandie
-
USA sole bidder for 2031 Women's World Cup, UK set to host in 2035 - Infantino
-
McLaren's Norris says it's 'our turn' for success
-
Lessons and liquids: buried alive in Myanmar's earthquake
-
Trump tariffs spark fears for Asian jobs, exporting sectors
-
Stocks and dollar sink, havens rally as Trump tariffs fan trade war

Sudan government rejects UN-backed famine declaration
The Sudanese government strongly rejected on Sunday a report backed by the United Nations which determined that famine had spread to five areas of the war-torn country.
The Integrated Food Security Phase Classification (IPC) review, which UN agencies use, follows repeated warnings from the United Nations, other aid groups and the United States about the hunger situation in the northeast African country.
IPC said last week that the war between Sudan's army and the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF) had created famine conditions for 638,000 people, with a further 8.1 million on the brink of mass starvation.
The army-aligned government "categorically rejects the IPC's description of the situation in Sudan as a famine", the foreign ministry said in a statement.
The statement called the report "essentially speculative" and accused the IPC of procedural and transparency failings.
It said the team did not have access to updated field data and had not consulted with the government's technical team on the final version before publication.
The IPC did not immediately respond to AFP's request for comment. On its website, IPC says its process is "evidence-based" and ensures "a rigorous, neutral analysis."
On August 1, the IPC had already declared a famine at Zamzam camp for displaced people near El-Fasher, a city in Sudan's western Darfur region besieged by the RSF.
At a press conference in the Red Sea city of Port Sudan, the government's commissioner for humanitarian aid, Salwa Adam Benya, said "the rumours of famine in Sudan are pure fabrication," Sudan's state news agency reported.
Along with representatives from the agriculture, media and foreign ministries, she said some aid agencies were using "food as a pretext" to push political agendas.
The Sudanese government, loyal to army chief Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, has been based in Port Sudan since the capital Khartoum became a war zone when fighting began in April 2023.
It has repeatedly been accused of hindering international efforts to assess the food security situation.
The authorities have also been accused of creating bureaucratic hurdles to humanitarian work and blocking visas for foreign teams.
- 'Only a ceasefire' -
The International Rescue Committee, a charity which has called Sudan the "biggest humanitarian crisis ever recorded", said the army was "leveraging its status as the internationally recognised government (and blocking) the UN and other agencies from reaching RSF-controlled areas".
In October, experts appointed by the United Nations Human Rights Council accused both sides of using "starvation tactics" and demanded that the army and RSF "stop immediately obstructing aid delivery in Sudan."
Last month, the World Food Programme said Sudan risks becoming the world's largest hunger crisis in recent history.
At the same time, US Secretary of State Antony Blinken, announcing an additional $200 million of new funding for Sudan's humanitarian crisis, said people are forced to eat grass and peanut shells to survive in parts of the country.
The war in Sudan has killed tens of thousands of people and uprooted more than 12 million, including millions who face a worsening hunger crisis.
Across the country, more than 24.6 million people -- around half the population -- face "high levels of acute food insecurity," according to IPC, which said: "Only a ceasefire can reduce the risk of Famine spreading further".
F.Pavlenko--BTB